Monday, October 1, 2007

One Laptop Per Child

I learned of this program when I first saw the Design for the Other 90% exhibition at the Cooper Hewitt in the spring of 2007. It has received a ton of press and is an interesting object/product and idea. There is a big push aimed at the public/individuals to launch this. Reading recent press about the push to launch this, I immediately put it on my charitable donations shortlist. Purchasing/donating to the cause is within many people's reach. I have asked the Metals Club to consider this as a fundraising project.

This computer is a great example of social design which brings me to this course. What do you all think of forming a loose design collective where participants would get together to create multiples of socially designed objects from our course and then sell them at our sales and perhaps online to raise money to support the One laptop per Child program?

Nicholas Negraponte, the person behind this, is the former director of the Media Lab at MIT, a position I believe he left to launch this program. Checkout the website at http://laptop.org. There are many great features; the software is open source which is also great.....Fuel the Revolution!

No comments: